Whether you love Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. or not, there’s no doubt that he’s playing for the right team, #TheMoneyTeam. He has the charisma and talent to back up his fearless demeanor, as well as the ability to make millions of people pay to watch him duke it out. Mayweather, an eight-time world champion, is doing what no other boxer in history has done, not even Muhammad Ali.
The pay-per-view champion collected a guaranteed $45 million for his latest fight with Miguel Cotto. It’s a purse that beats Nevada’s prior record of $30 million, which was achieved three times by Mike Tyson in both of his fights against Evander Holyfield and another against Frank Bruno. Based on salary alone, the 35-year-old boxer is the highest paid athlete in the world, according to ESPN magazine. His multitiered brand has spread beyond the boxing ring, amassing an online following that rivals tech heavyweights and influencers. (His Klout score weights in at 84.)
- Money May’s social media footprint speaks for itself:
- Twitter: @FloydMayweather over 2.8 million followers
- YouTube: Floyd Mayweather over 18K subscribers; nearly 5 million views
- Facebook: Floyd Mayweather about 1.4 million subscribers
- Instagram: Floyd Mayweather over 300K followers